Sunday, April 21, 2013

High School and College Student Volunteers

I love having parent volunteers in my classroom.  In fact I don't think I could have survived my first year of teaching if it weren't for the amazing parent volunteers that I had that year.  Parent volunteers can be great; they copy, cut, laminate and save me countless hours! 

Last year, I decided to try some student volunteers in addition to parent volunteers.  Through the local high school, I was able to have students come in when their classes were done for the day and work with my kiddos.


This year I have a college student who comes in every Friday during our math block to work with small groups. 

It is such a win-win!  The high school students love getting the experience of working in small groups in a real classrooom.  My kiddos LOVE having a cool high school (and now a college) student helping them in small groups.  

If you are interested in trying this, just go to your local high school's website and look up either the junior, senior counselor or if the high school has a child development program, contact that teacher and ask them to help you get some student volunteers.   In my county, every high school student is required to complete 75 hours of community service so that really helps because I can offer students credit toward thier volunteer hour requirement.

Please feel free to comment below to let me know if you have ever had high school students volunteer or are thinking about trying it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment