Monday, March 24, 2014

Monday Math ~ Fact Families

Happy Monday!  I thought I would quickly share some fun math resources for teaching fact families that I found recently!  As you may already know, I love www.TeacherTipster.com, so it will come as no surprise that I found yet another awesome tip on his website.  This video is made for teachers to watch and shows us an interesting way to teach students how fact families work.
Watch the video, but it basically using the color wheel as a way to explain the reciprocal property.  The idea is to use student's knowledge how they can mix primary colors to get secondary colors; yellow + blue = green just as blue + yellow will also equal green and if you could magically take the blue out of the color green you would be left with the color yellow...  Again, watch the video because he does a better job at explaining it than I am but I tried this lesson with my class as a way to introduce fact families and they LOVED it!

Now the next video is a cute puppet show that is made to show directly to students.  Krys and Kai's Math Minute Fact Families is about 9 minutes long and is a great mini lesson between the teacher and a cute blue puppet.  There are other videos made by Krys Tina which look promising but I have only used the fact family one so far!  

My last fact family share is from Teachers Pay Teachers and is a great freebie made by Beverly Clore.  Check out her Fact Families Unit, it has fact family worksheets, addition and subtraction practice pages and some crayon themed math center/station activities.

As always, thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment and let me know some of the fun ways that you teach fact families!



No comments:

Post a Comment